Our Mission Statement
Did you know that five media conglomerates publish eighty percent of the books in the United States? As the publishing industry continues to contract, opportunities for emerging and mid-career authors are drying up. Who will write the literature of the twenty-first century if just a handful of profit-focused corporations are left to decide who — and what — is worthy of publication?
Barking Rain Press is dedicated to the creation and promotion of thoughtful and imaginative contemporary literature, which we believe is essential to a vital and diverse culture. As a nonprofit organization, Barking Rain Press is an independent publisher that seeks to cultivate relationships with new and mid-career writers over time, to be thorough in the editorial process, and to make the entire modern publishing process an experience that will add to an author’s development — and ultimately enhance our literary heritage.
In selecting new titles for publication, Barking Rain Press considers authors at all points in their careers. Our goal is to support the development of emerging and mid-career authors — not just single books — as we know from experience that a writer’s audience is cultivated over the course of several books.
Barking Rain Press Values
- Artistic Excellence — Barking Rain Press is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding writers whose work is of intrinsic value.
- Independence — In the face of unprecedented consolidation and heightened focus on profitability in the book business, Barking Rain Press publishes works based on writing excellence, imagination and thought-provoking qualities.
- Community Engagement — Barking Rain Press publishes literature that engages local and international communities of readers, online and face-to-face.
- Leadership — Barking Rain Press views the challenges presented by a rapidly changing publishing environment as an opportunity to explore innovative and entrepreneurial approaches.
- Sustainability — We are committed to producing content in ways that minimize environmental impacts, and to building an organization that will be sustainable financially for decades to come.
Barking Rain Press Publishing Commitment
- To publish contemporary works of writing that are imaginative, original, diverse, and intelligent
- To identify, nurture and support the imaginative, vital, and resonant authors of our time
- To foster readership and appreciation of imaginative, speculative and contemporary literature genres
- To contribute to the cultural life of our community by connecting readers and authors in new and innovative ways
- To enrich our literary heritage with a significant body of work
Barking Rain Press Commitment to Authors
- A positive, collaborative association with a team of enthusiastic, experienced professionals
- Engaged and attentive manuscript editing
- Outstanding design and production for books
- Competitive royalties for both print and eBook formats
- Innovative and robust marketing efforts
Support for these efforts will come from the sale of our publications, grant funding, and private donations. Whether you are a reader or a writer, we invite you to take a stand for independent publishing and become more involved with Barking Rain Press. With your support, we can make sure that talented writers thrive, and that their books reach the hands of spirited, curious readers.