How will Barking Rain Press help me to market my book?
Most readers aren’t interested in hearing from a publisher as much as they are interested in hearing from an author. Readers will Google your name, your book(s), your characters, etc., but they don’t typically Google for the publisher name.
That’s why as an author, you should understand that your own marketing efforts will be the main driving factor in sales of your book. As your publisher, Barking Rain Press will make your book available for purchase in print and eBook form, but as the author, the task of helping prospective readers become aware of your book will fall largely on your shoulders.
Marketing “money” vs. Marketing “time”
Angela Hoy of Writer’s Weekly wrote an excellent article on this topic entitled When Authors Aren’t Willing to Market Their Books. Here is a small excerpt that sums it up:
“Nothing beats an author connecting one-on-one with potential book buyers, online or off. It’s like comparing a press release to a personal email from the author… There is no comparison and sales results will certainly show for it. Marketing money spent can never equal marketing time spent when it comes to a book’s success. If you’re not willing to spend several hours per week personally promoting your book, it’s not going to succeed. It’s that simple.”
Marketing services you receive
Because many Barking Rain Press authors have never been published before, we strive to do more for our authors than is typical of most small press publishers. If you are offered a Barking Rain Press contract, here is the minimum that you can expect from us to assist you with promoting your book (and yes, there is no charge for any of these services):
- Press Release Services — Barking Rain Press will write and distribute an acquisition press release and a publication press release for your book. These will be posted on our website, included in our newsletter, and distributed through our network of domestic and international wire services. You will receive a PDF copy of these releases for use as part of your own marketing efforts. Other press releases may be provided if desired and/or warranted.
- Informational Flyer — Barking Rain Press will prepare and design an informational flyer about you and your book that you can use as part of your marketing efforts (click here for an example). We will provide you with a print-quality PDF that you can post on your website or blog, send out in an email or print out on your printer as needed (you can also go to a copy shop or Kinkos to get copies printed).
- Email list — Barking Rain Press will set up an “information email list” for your title so that interested readers can receive information about your book, read the free sample chapters, receive discounts and promotional offers, get a nudge to post a review, etc. Readers can join the list by simply sending an email to a particular email address (usually your-book(at)virtualtales.com) or through a sign-up form. You can provide the email address (or request code to set up a form on your website or blog) to visitors to your website, blog, Facebook page, etc. After your book is published, if you have other information to share with readers about signings, appearances, new books, etc., we can continue to send this information out to your list subscribers.
- Staff Forum Board — Success begets success, and to that end Barking Rain Press maintains an exclusive “BRP Staff” forum board. As a member, you will have on-going access to our amazingly talented authors, editors and artists. It’s where we all go to ask questions, share tips, and ask for help with book signings, promotion strategies, tagging book(s) on Amazon.com, etc. We are big in helping each other up, and you will find a world of great ideas and encouragement here!
- Website Publishing Access — All Barking Rain Press staff members are given “publisher” access to our website so that they can directly post news, articles and reviews for their work, including link-backs to your own blog, website, Facebook page, etc. Any information that is posted to these areas of the website are automatically included in our newsletter.
- Author Interview — Barking Rain Presss will develop an author interview feature with your assistance, which will then be posted on the Barking Rain Press website, included in our newsletter and available for you to post on your own website, or use in your own marketing efforts.
- Book Social Media Websites — We will make sure that your book is listed on Goodreads, Shelfari and Library Thing, and will include a specific email to your information email list to post reviews at these websites, among others. Many of our authors have been able to pitch their books to various book groups on these websites and have received good reviews that way.
Additional marketing services
Optional marketing assistance that can be requested by any Barking Rain Press author, as desired. We will freely provide the artwork or arrangements listed, but you will need to arrange to have the actual print work done by your local or online printer, as applicable:
- Print-Ready Artwork — Barking Rain Press can design print-ready artwork for bookmarks, postcards, business cards, etc., You can take the artwork to a local printer, or use an online print service (for examples of online printers our staff has worked with, click here for the US or click here for the UK). We can also design posters, tee-shirts and other promotional items, which will then be available through CafePress.
- Bookstore Signings — If you are interested in doing signings at a local bookstore, we can work with you and the bookstore to make arrangements.
- Convention Appearances — If you are interested in appearing at specific “cons,” Barking Rain Press can contact the organization(s) on your behalf to arrange for complimentary signing tables and/or readings, as available.
- Local Media Interviews — If you are interested in being interviewed by a local newspaper or magazine, Barking Rain Press can work with you to make arrangements and provide photos, excerpts, etc. as requested.
- Internet/Radio Interviews — If you are interested in doing an author “Virtual Blog Tour,” radio interview or other online interview, Barking Rain Press can work with you to make arrangements and provide photos, excerpts, etc.
- Membership in Writer’s Organizations — If you are interested in joining a particular writer’s organization, we will do what we can to assist you in your efforts (i.e., providing references, royalty payment information, etc.). We can also assist you with setting up an Amazon Author’s Page.
Because we are interested in helping our authors sell more books, we are very open to ideas and suggestions from our authors. As a contracted Barking Rain Press author, if there is something in particular you would like to try to promote your book that requires some assistance from the publisher, you can always ask us if something is possible. Many of the services listed above came about because our authors asked for them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Posted in: Manuscript Submission FAQ